Friday, August 12, 2011

"Kinse" (Fifteen)


I accidentally watched an episode today of the 6-episode series "Kinse" (Fifteen) at ANC and was able to watch the last 2 mini-movies, one of which was directed by Auraeus Solito of "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros."

I loved the first mini-movie featuring this "promdi" girl who went to Manila to pursue her job there. I was somewhat bored at first because of the fact that it was black and white and read-the-script type but eventually ended up smiling then raising my eyebrow as the main message of the story was unveiled: indigenous discrimination. I think it is not right to discriminate the indigenous group by all means (in the film, the girl was prohibited to wear their indigenous clothing because it was against the policy).


The next film was a colored one (in contrast to the first, haha). This story featuring the Palawan tribe initially gave me the provincial/rural taste that I find attractive in indie movies.  It follows the story of a tribe member waiting for her "kudyapi" (a musical instrument) because she was asked by the tribe to play it during their assembly. I find it striking that some of the intentions of the movie was boldly expressed like "NO TO CYANIDE FISHING" AND "NO TO POACHING." Overall, this is a pretty interesting "obra" of Auraeus Solito.

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak up!
what do think about this?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...